Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 large garlic dill pickles, about 3 cups chopped
- 2/3 cup liquid from pickle jar or water
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and black pepper
- Sugar to taste, if desired
- Chopped fresh dill for garnish, if desired
- Melt butter in a large pot. Saute onion until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, pickles, pickle liquid and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Blend flour with sour cream. Temper sour cream mixture with a little hot soup. Pour tempered sour cream into hot soup, whisking constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning, adding sugar if desired. Note:At this point, the soup can be left chunky or pureed to the velvety consistency of vichyssoise.
- Serve in heated bowls garnished with chopped fresh dill, if desired.
*We blended it and served it with a little diced pickle and some cream. Yum!