Monday, February 4, 2008

THE Best Chocolate Chip Cookies...ever.

What follows is the recipe for my family's favorite dessert, and my most signature recipe:
Great Grandmother Barber's Chocolate Chip Cookies. There is no equal.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In bowl mix*: 1 c. softened butter (2 sticks)
1/2 c. white sugar
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

add: 2 eggs, mix*

add: 2 c. flour (I use 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour and 1/2 c. all purpose flour)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
dash of cinnamon and/or nutmeg

mix well*.

add chocolate chips--approx. 1 12 oz bag, or how ever much you like.

*do not use an electric mixer. mix by hand, with patience and love, and preferably the same wooden spoon used only for sweet dishes so it becomes 'seasoned.' (yes, I am particular about this)
bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 7 to 10 minutes-- (I like to bake for 8 min., then open the oven, close it, and bake for 2 more min. I've tried not doing this, and they end up burned. This may just be me, though...)
--until they look like this.
Enjoy. And you will.

1 comment:

Catherine Chandler said...

So.....you'll be sending me some of those, right? :) Yum! I haven't had home made chocolate chip cookies in forever. We used to have this brown ceramic bowl that we would always use for chocolate chip cookies, and then they would go in this 70's red tupperware box. Yum. Love the smell of that!