Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm in love!


If you know me, or have spent any time looking through my work, you may have noticed that I adore sock monkeys. My adoration began with monkeys, but really I adore any new thing made from an old sock. I think what I like is how unlikely the final result is, given the original object. Who would think to make a monkey from a sock? And why a monkey specifically? And why begin this practice during the Depression when socks were probably hard to come by?

I don't know. I have theories. But what I do know is that I like them, and this weekend I found this book, Sock and Glove, at Barnes and Noble and I am in love with this new generation of sock--and glove--creativity. The bottom image came from amazon.com, and the top image was taken from a June 19 post on craft blog Wise Craft. Everything in the book is completely adorable and full instructions are included.

I didn't buy it, but I'll be dreaming about it for awhile now.

1 comment:

Margaux Lange said...

Hi Corey,

Just wanted to say congrats on your article with Megan Auman that's featured in Metalsmith this month! It was very cool to read and definitely insightful. A discussion very worthy of Metalsmith's attention. Kudos to you.

:-)